Position: Part time Organist and Choir Director
Location: St. James’ Anglican Church, Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada, in the Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
St. James’ Anglican Church, nestled amidst the quaint town of Mahone Bay, on the picturesque shores of a tranquil bay, is seeking an organist-choir director to participate in the creation of worship. Worship is the glorification of God by God’s people, and the nourishment of God’s people by God’s Word and Sacraments. As a co-creator of worship at St. James’, the organist-choir director works with the rector to enhance the ministry of music within the congregation. This position must foster and promote a healthy Christian atmosphere in a cordial, cooperative, and respectful manner, abiding by the terms of the SafeR Church policy of the parish and diocese, which will include police record and vulnerable sector clearance checks to be made.
Responsible to: Rector, Wardens, and parish council.
Skills and Qualifications:
1. Ability to play proficiently various styles of music on organ and piano.
2. Ability to recruit, direct and motivate a volunteer church choir.
3. Ability to select both traditional and contemporary music for acquisition and presentation, which is complementary to the style of worship.
4. Ability to work as a team leader and team member.
5. Knowledge of Anglican worship would be an asset.
1. Provide organ and/or piano music for regular Sunday morning services and for other special services (e.g. Good Friday, Christmas Eve), including prelude and postlude accompaniment.
2. Conduct weekly choir rehearsals and prepare the choir for special services.
3. Meet with the rector monthly to co-ordinate and plan worship services and select the hymns; organist usually selects anthems.
4. Select and purchase choir music and supplies, in collaboration with the rector or wardens, which is suited to the blended worship style of the congregation and the strengths of the choir. All expenditures exceeding $100 to be submitted to parish council for approval.
5. Prepare a written annual report to be included in the parish’s annual general meeting convening circular, which will include the CCLI music records for the preceding year.
6. Play for weddings and funerals held at the church as needed. (Personal schedule will be considered).
7. Rehearse, as needed, with individuals, small groups and instrumentalists, as well as the congregation when introducing new hymns or liturgical settings.
8. Promote, encourage and support the use, during services, of a variety of instruments and music groups (e. g. vocal or instrumental soloists, Sunday School, ensembles, trios, choirs) who may or may not be regular choir members.
9. Be available to play for extra-mural services conducted as a ministry of outreach from St. James’ to the community e.g. nursing home services, or as an ecumenical venture (Personal schedule will be considered).
10. Arrange for a competent substitute organist for absences due to vacation, continuing education, leave of absence, and when possible, illness.
11. Be supportive of other musical bodies e.g. a junior choir, a hand-bell choir, should any such arise within the congregation, by acting as their leader, or as a resource to their leader(s).
12. Keep a written record of musical pieces that are printed as inserts, that are not already contained within our hymn books, as is required by the CCLI licensing terms of agreement.
13. Care for and arrange maintenance for the musical instruments with appropriate approval.
14. Ensure choir members are attending to the appearance and upkeep of their vestments.
Hours of work:
This part-time position includes a weekly choir rehearsal, Sunday morning services, other special services, funerals, weddings, and other time as required for meetings, planning, etc.
• Remuneration will be commensurate with a part time position based on qualifications and experience.
• Additional monies for each funeral and wedding service are to be paid by those requesting the service in accordance with local standards.
• Remuneration will be reviewed annually.
• Two weeks paid vacation annually after one year of service, with substitute organist paid by congregation. This is to increase to three (3) weeks after 5 years of continual service in the position, and to a maximum of four (4) weeks after 10 years of continual service.
How to Apply
Send the following by e-mail to the Rector of the parish of Mahone Bay at email@example.com and/or to the parish administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will acknowledge receipt of applications and initially communicate with applicants by e-mail. We will make every effort to respect the confidentiality of all candidates and will only call references later in the process.
Please note: Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview. Further evaluation may be required by successful applicants leading a choir rehearsal and one service.
Early applications are appreciated. Please feel free to contact us at anytime for further information at 1-902-624-8614